Saturday, February 4, 2012

On Mistakes

So, this post is to tell everyone that I am not, despite what others may think, perfect. Sure, I'm awesome, but, as the title may hint at, everyone makes mistakes. I am, after all, a part of everyone. Actually, I'll admit it. I decided to write this post just so I could share this little story that happened back in July and which I have just recently become un-embarrassed enough about to put it on the Internet. However, while it is slightly embarrassing, it's also pretty cool (in my humble opinion). So, picture it. Two friends and I are down in Spry Canyon in Zion National Park. It's going well, and then I make the mistake. The said mistake is described in the following video:



So, there we were, down in the bottom of the canyon with a forty foot drop staring us in the face and without our rope anchored above us, and nowhere to anchor the rope where we were. The fact that I didn't look around and check on the next rappel before pulling the rope would qualify, I think, as a mistake. In fact, I'd call it a really dumb mistake. However, the key with making mistakes and getting yourself into jams is this: You have to be awesome enough to get yourself out of it. The three of us definitely managed to do that. This next video is fun to watch if you don't mind listening to me say "the shizzle" several times. Observe:



And thus, we were awesome. So, this could apply to real life. If you make a mistake, you need to be able to get yourself out of it. Granted, you sometimes have to ask for help. If that's necessary, go ahead and do it. Anyway, turns out I'm not too happy with this post. I'm going to post it anyway. That being said, I make an end in the usual way.


This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment