Sunday, October 13, 2013

On Dreams Made Into Quasi-Reality

So, for a while now I've been feeling a desire to write some more fiction. I think it comes from some excellent inspiration, as over the past several months I've devoured all of the books in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (Seriously, they're amazing.) and read a couple more books by Brandon Sanderson. I find myself wanting to write, but I also find that I lack inspiration to some extent. However, I did manage to have a flash of inspiration a while back while I was sitting in a Korean sacrament meeting, and that has, in my spare time, morphed into what may turn into a Captain Danger urban fantasy novel. We'll see. I like where it's going. However, that's not what I'm going to be posting here. No, the idea for what I'm going to write here came from a dream that I had a while back. Of course, being a dream, it made little sense (I'm pretty sure that part of it included the president (who wasn't Obama) riding an elephant). However, the core of the idea was something that appealed to me a little as something to write a short fun story about. Long-time readers of my blog may remember my last foray into writing fiction. I had a pretty good time with that one. I don't really know how high-quality it was, but I feel like I've read worse stories in some fiction anthologies. I think that this attempt may turn out to be similar. I will be the main character and my friends will also be main characters, partially because that's how it happened in my dream, and partially because I don't want to go to the trouble of thinking up names. It will probably be a bit rough, as the dream has some pretty obvious logic holes in it. I'm hoping I can plug those up in my writing. I'm not as worried about my world-building and background as I am about dialogue and action and making myself sound awesome, so there are likely to be some things that are pretty tough to swallow. But, I'm not too worried about it, and I hope my readers won't worry to much about it either. Also, one last thing: please don't be hurt if I didn't work you into this story. I can only develop so many characters, and I suck at developing characters, anyway. Odds are, if you were in this story, you would just talk like and act like me. All that being said, it's time to begin. I am calling this story "Water in the Cave."

Okay, so at the moment, "Water in the Cave" isn't really coming together. I'm getting distracted with it and I'm not sure where it's going. Maybe I'll work on it more later if I can think of it. Sorry to disappoint. I don't know why I'm still going to publish this, but I think I will. Hopefully soon I'll get it to a point where I can put it on my blog. I'll finish this post with the usual amazing picture of me.


This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment