Sunday, September 18, 2011

On Climbing.

So, this post is prefaced with me saying that I have not really enjoyed climbing in the past. I've been a few times, and every time I've found that I really sucked at it and that it was kind of scary being belayed by someone who was, generally, a lot smaller than me.

That being said, I went ahead and went climbing yesterday, and to make it more interesting, I went ahead and rented some shoes from Outdoors Unlimited, the outdoor store at BYU. It was a night and day difference! I went from slipping all over the place in my old shoes (the ones with leprosy) to barely having to worry about where I was putting my feet! It was amazing. In fact, it has changed my entire outlook on climbing! Before today, I would go on climbing trips mostly just to belay people (you won't find a better belayer than me, I'll tell you that right now), but now I find myself wanting to buy my own climbing shoes and go more often and actually become a good climber! Granted, when I was climbing my belayer had to be two people, but that is really beside the point. Anthony did point out that if I wanted to be a good climber, probably the best thing I could do is lose about 100 pounds. That was an exaggeration, I think I need to lose about 50 pounds. That would serve, at least, to make me easier to belay.

However, another thing that I'd like to point out is that climbing gear is not generally made for people my size. I had to get the extreme largest climbing shoes they had at Outdoors Unlimited, and they barely fit (which, I know they are supposed to). This led me to create a new term: sizist. Yes, I went there. Climbing, and sports like it, are prejudiced against large people, making them sizist. That doesn't stop me from doing them, though, and I will continue to be awesome, despite my size, though yesterday has given me at least a small desire to lower my weight, at least by a little.

That all being said, I make an end. Here's an excellent picture of me:


This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment